Monday, January 29, 2007

Pickton

What an interesting story we've got in Vancouver. Robert Willie Pickton is on trial for killing 6 women. Right now, that is. There's going to be another trial for him and another 20 women he's accused of killing.
Now the things he apparently did to these women is very bad. Or sad, or horrible. Whatever term you'd like to use.
My question is how much is too much? How much does the public need to know? Do we need to hear that he bled them on meat hooks at his farm? Or is it enough to know that he was a pig farmer and took the women there and did horrific things to them? Use your imagination.
I am not sure what I think about this. Does the public need to know about this one scary guy who could go down as the worst serial killer in Canadian history?
I hear those who say we deserve to know just how bad this guy really was, and others who say it's just glorifies, in some way the things he did?
I know there are over three hundred accredited reporters there, many of whom will stay for the enitre year. Maybe looking for book deals when it's all done.
Another says he will end up being the shining example like Marc Lepin who somehow represented all the men in the world who supressed women in some way. Marc Lepin at Polytechnic in Montreal did that as one crazy dude with a gun, so how does he become the face for feminist groups to use in their fight?
It is just something I am thinking about right now and I thought I should blog, so sorry to anyone who is just reading this and didn't really want to get into some philosophical debate here.
I'll say goodbye for now.

No comments: