Monday, March 26, 2007

The Middle East

Just watched a PBS documentary on a pilgrimage many Iranians make into Iraq despite all the dangers. Apparently these pilgrims are targets of suicide bombers, but they go anyway. The thing I don't understand is the whole concept of martyrdom. It doesn't make any sense to me. They leave their family behind, their kids, and everything else, and say they would be honoured to die there. It would lead them to paradise if they were to die there.
They cry and when they are out of tears they cry blood........ what could possibly make these people so devout?
I know the Middle East is a dynamic place, and very cultured, but the rifts between Shia's and Sunni's was equated to the difference between Protestants and Catholics. I would be a very rich dude, or at least very recognizable if I came up with the answers to these issues, but where would you even begin?
The people who support Iran's President feel that America and Britain are the oppressors and they tie it into their ancient religious tales of Imam Hussein. He will return one day in the battle between good and evil.
I can't even begin to explain all this, and think I should be blogging something else, but I wonder why religion drives people to this. I guess there are religions on all sides playing into the whole face of the world. The politics or the entire world are often based and driven to some extent by religion. Isn't it all something to believe? To discuss? But why die for this?
I don't know. But I am tired of thinking about it.

No comments: