Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Simon Winchester

It's a little delayed, but last Friday I had a date with my mom. It was going to be me, mom, and dad until pops realized he would miss another Oiler game. So he drove mom down, hung out at my place and watched the game while I took off with my mom.
But you don't really need too many details of my whereabouts (and my family's) posted on here. The point is the Edmonton Literary Festival.
After my initial alarm at being twenty years younger than anyone else there, we settled in and waited for the clowns to work out some technical difficulties (Mr. Winchester never did get a working mic). He came out and talked about meeting with the folks who were approving new words for the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) just before he came to Edmonton. And the only reason I mention this is that the Edmonton Journal coverage ended there. The reporter must have had a date.
Simon Winchester wrote a few books you may recognize including The Professor and the Madman, The Map That Changed the World, and Krakatoa.
I can't even begin to try and tell the stories the way he did, but he began a journey from Uganda to England, to the troubles in Northern Ireland (making front page on the world papers), to Washinton, DC the day Watergate hit the news (again making the front pages around the world) to London, to New York etc.
He mentioned two things that struck me as a journalist (at least someone who has the training and a little bit of experience, if not the booming radio voice or natural skill). One was a piece of advice he'd received - Never lose your sense of wonder. Isn't that true? A person will be dead if he/she doesn't enjoy the things we see everyday. And the second was the only way a journalist can have any staying power is to write books.
So a series of amazing events occur, and a little book about the making of the OED has now sold 2.5 million copies. The Professor and the Madman is the book.
What an interesting guy, and what wonderful stories he tells.
And it never stops amazing me how my mom comes up with these cool things to do. I'll go on a date with her anytime.
I don't know if this post makes much sense - maybe one of those "guess you should've been there" moments. The thoughts I am trying to convey are that it was terrific to get out to something like that. The stories are almost unbelievable and I guess that's what makes him such a successful author.

No comments: